posted by Scott
Wikipedia: "The theory of evolution by natural selection was proposed roughly simultaneously by both Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace, and set out in detail in Darwin's 1859 book On the Origin of Species. It encountered initial resistance from religious authorities who believed humans were divinely set apart from the animal kingdom. In the 1930s, Darwinian natural selection was combined with Mendelian inheritance to form the modern evolutionary synthesis, in which the connection between the units of evolution (genes) and the mechanism of evolution (natural selection) was made. This powerful explanatory and predictive theory has become the central organizing principle of modern biology, providing a unifying explanation for the diversity of life on Earth."
There was a time when the Christian Church looked toward the scriptures to understand where we came from, what we're here for, and where we will go when we pass away. The answers were simple, yet required faith in something that couldn't be scientifically proven with our natural senses. As each generation has passed since Thomas probed the wounds of Christ, so in has crept the old doubt. That doubt has been exponentially increased since the advent of the theory of evolution and modern science & industry. It has crept in so much so that I would venture to say the faith of most Christians is today only nominal. If you would like evidence of that, take a look at the state of the modern church. Look at the atrocious things that "Christians" have allowed to come to pass in the name of progress. Most modern "Christians" don't believe that Christ was who he said he was or that the scriptures are the inspired word of God.
Where sincere Christianity required a faith unto obedience, nominal Christianity requires little more than occasional church attendance or adherence to various and sundry church traditions. You can be a nominal Christian, yet place your full faith and confidence in man, through science.
Of course, I see how much easier it seems to place faith in something like science. After all, science has quite convincingly developed answers to questions where the bible seemingly left gaps. Never mind the fact that many of the answers are pure fiction or are so far-fetched that they require even greater leaps of faith in reason to believe, than the scriptures. Science is the only belief system taught in today's government education institutions. Science is the religion of mass-media. Science is the god of modern man, who looks to it for knowledge of the past, guidance for the present, and prophecy.
I, born in the middle of the 20th century, feel so far removed from the times of Christ, that I scarcely can imagine what it must have been like to hear of this Galilean who makes the blind see and the lame take up their beds. The language has changed. The customs, geography, dress, and even the government has changed. Growing up, the Gospel of Christ seemed like a fairy tale. It was as real to me as Santa or the Easter Bunny. Perhaps worse yet, I saw evidence of Santa and the Easter Bunny. Alas, that turned out to be a hoax. Science though has turned out to be a savior, or so we are led to believe. You disagree? Consider the curse:
Gen 3:16 To the woman He said, I will greatly increase your sorrow and your conception. In pain you shall bear sons, and your desire shall be toward your husband, and he shall rule over you.Gen 3:17 And to Adam He said, Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree, of which I commanded you, saying, You shall not eat of it! The ground is cursed for your sake. In pain shall you eat of it all the days of your life.Gen 3:18 It shall also bring forth thorns and thistles to you, and you shall eat the herb of the field.Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are, and to dust you shall return.
For centuries, we lived subject to the curse in much this way. Then, somewhere in the middle of the 19th century, things began to change...
- Modern air conditioning emerged from advances in chemistry during the 19th Century, and the first large-scale electrical air conditioning was invented and used in 1902 by Willis Haviland Carrier.
- Dr. John Bonica invented the epidural block and administered it to his own wife while she was in labor with their second child in the 1930’s.
- In 1892, a blacksmith called John Froehlich, from Iowa in the United States, built the first ever farm vehicle powered by a petrol engine. It was also the first tractor which could be driven forward and in reverse. Only 2 Froehlich Tractors were built. Both of them were sold and both of them were returned by dissatisfied customers!Later that year John Froehlich joined with others in organizing the Waterloo Gasoline Traction Engine Company, which later became known as the John Deere Tractor Company.
- The feminist movement (a.k.a. Women's Lib) began in the 19th century. Gender roles have become confused, monogamy has come under attack, & etc...
- Genetically modified foods have been available since the 1990s. In the US, by 2006 89% of the planted area of soybeans, 83 percent of cotton, and 61 percent maize was genetically modified varieties.
As science began to provide relief from the curse, that old doubt that I earlier mentioned crept in voraciously like a lion waiting to devour its prey.
So, what can someone do so that they can come to know what is truthful?
- Be objective. I think an objective person must start with the premise that there are two opposite agendas at work here. There is the agenda of science and there is the opposing agenda of the scriptures. The Bible is a subversive document, when studied and applied by the reader. Adherence to the Bible is dangerous to an ever-further reaching and global government, which can not afford too much individual freedom of thought or expression. Therefore, government seeks to neuter the scriptures and the followers of Christ. Science provides comfort. Science seeks to bring about peace. Science is full of individual men's contributions for the greater good. Science is safe and perpetuates the government, global economy, & etc.
- Earnestly seek the truth. The scientific agenda is carried out, wittingly or not, by mass-media, government, corporations, and even the organized church. Therefore, an objective person must not place undue trust in these organizations. One must seek alternative first-person sources of news, they must work to influence government, they must not forget that the profit motive of corporations trumps any altruistic motives, and they must diligently study the scriptures themselves to rightly divide the word.
- Perpetuate truths. The scientific agenda is implemented across generations. There is simply too much in this agenda for change to occur in one lifetime. This is a multi-generational agenda, which is greater than any one man. The agenda does not require your belief and complicity, it is content to seek that from your children and grand-children. One must thwart the agenda by protecting their children from secular or false teaching. Private Christian schools are not always protected from the agenda. Unfortunately, many parents have placed their children in "Christian" schools, only to have them indoctrinated with false Christianity. Ultimately, parents must take the lead role in their children's education, either through home-schooling or other equivalent involvement in their instruction.
If one does these things, I believe that they will come to know and perpetuate the truth to later generations. Seek and you will find! Knock and the door will be opened! I find it telling that true Christians will most often suggest to doubters that they study and see for themselves. Those who oppose Christianity often seem so threatened by it that they want any vestige of it removed from the society. They seem afraid that their religion can not stand up to the careful scrutiny of someone desiring the truth. I believe they are right in that fear!