Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The last few days have been full of activity. So much, in fact, that Noah tearfully asked yesterday if we could just stay "home" in the hotel room.

Friday we drove for 8 hours then went to a Rangers game. Saturday we toured Scott's old neighborhoods and went to the Rodeo. Sunday we attended church 2 blocks away at First Baptist Dallas where W.A. Criswell preached for nearly 50 years, then took the train to the zoo. Here we are on the DART.

We got rained out at the zoo, so we took the train back to downtown and got drenched walking the 2 blocks back to the hotel. The Dallas Zoo is much like I remember the zoo from my youth. The animals were mostly behind chain-link fences and had brick buildings into which they could retreat for privacy or protection from the weather. We did not get to see the African exhibit, which is mostly accessible by monorail. It was closed due to rain. Anyway, when we reached the hotel we changed into dry clothes and headed out for an early dinner. We had to make another stop to pick up a few necessities at a local store. Once we were back at the hotel we rented Ratatouille, which kept the kids calm and still for a good while. On Monday, we took the kids to the Dallas World Aquarium & Zoo. It was very nice... much nicer than the Dallas Zoo. It was all indoor, for one thing. The other nice thing is that there was virtually no separation between us and the animals. We stood a foot away from a Three-Toed Sloth. Here is his photo.
We learned that a male sloth has a stripe down his back, and that sloths only descend to the ground to defecate every 2-8 days. My kids were thrilled to know that.
But we didn't stop there. Oh, no, we didn't stop there. We went to the Sixth Floor Museum at the former Texas School Book Depository to see the JFK stuff. We walked around the Grassy Knoll. Scott went out into the middle of the 3 lane highway to take a photo of the Depository from the X on the ground that marked the spot where the first shot hit the motorcade. Here's that photo.

See that car coming? She had to slow down and go around Scott. There was another man out there doing the same thing.
So today, we've been at the hotel all day. Scott is in his meetings. We've eaten cereal bars and sandwiches made of deli meats and cheese we picked up from the store yesterday. Scott will pick up dinner tonight. We're getting ready to run downstairs to mail some postcards and then come back up for a game of hangman. Let the fun begin!


Don and Lynn said...

Wow, y'all are having a great time! I've been to Dallas a few times and although we didn't have much time to sight-see, what little we did was fun. Dallas is one of the nicer "big cities" that I've been to. Wish I could have gotten to the Texas School Book Depository. I had an 11th grade U.S. History teacher that was a fanatic about the assasination. He eventually wrote his own book, having interviewed MANY witnesses, etc. Listening to him then was fascinating as I'm sure it would be now.

Steve Jones said...

I attend First Baptist Dallas and I am glad that you guys got to attend out church. I love my church and it is rich in history and we love to see folks come to the Lord.

You attended last Sunday when our interim Pastor, Dr. Anderson was preaching his last sermon. He is a greta preacher and will be missed. This next Sunday our new Pastor, Dr. Robert Jeffress will preach his first official sermon as our Pastor.......things are happening at FBD. Ta'll come back anytime, our door is always open! God's blessings

Tish said...

Hi, Neva! I just tagged you on a meme that is quite the honor to be part of. I think you may enjoy checking out some of the other participants. Be sure to add your own blog so that people can check you out too! :)