Thursday, April 16, 2009

Breaking Radio Silence

Nothing has been posted here for a while. Sometimes my mind is jumbled up and so full of stuff that I can't think clearly enough to put together a cohesive sentence. And yet,today, while I have in my home a 2 year old, 3 year old, 4 year old, 5 year old, 8 year old and 12 year old... I'm feeling froggy.

The nephews came over to spend the night last night. The boys arrived late and were a little wound up, so I gave my 12-year-old his first paying baby-sitting job. His instructions were to put on a movie and come get me if I was needed. I woke up to the sound of loud snores- from the 12 year old. One of the little ones was asleep, and the other one was still watching the movie. I think we all got to bed by 1:30am. A fun time was had by all.

I've pondered discontinuing the ole blog. When we started this, it was to share the things God was teaching us. Lately, it seems that the things we've been learning would be inappropriate to share. To share them would either seem boastful, or gossipy, or complaining.

When we answered God's call to minister to youth, a lot of things came with that- things we weren't necessarily prepared for. Becoming involved in a child's life is complicated. Their family situations are complicated. Sometimes looking into their eyes is like looking at the face of death. It makes me want to cry, to scream, and sometimes to beat some sense into them. The only way to break the generational patterns of self-destruction and self-loathing is Jesus. This Jesus whom we preach, this Jesus whom we love... is the same Jesus at whom they scoff, the same Jesus whose death they mock. I believe some of these children only come to youth meetings be certain that Satan is duly represented.

That being said, I think for a while this blog is just going to focus on family and "pseudo-farming" things. Fun stuff. Good stuff. We'll be thinking on good things.

4 comments:

Ginny said...

There's nothing wrong with that. I have been thinking of giving up the blog, too, but I think I will leave it up for the fun part. Life is where we need to apply the serious stuff. It is a good thing to leave the serious consequences and the real work to the Lord. We are just not capable: we are emotional, tired, sinful ourselves. We just plod along, doing what we can, but leave it all up to the Lord. Sounds like a cop-out, but we have to face our limitations and keep on working.

Take it easy, enjoy your blog when you need to, keep focused on the Lord, and remember that you are just dust and a worm. LOL! Makes the journey a little easier. LOL! For me, anyway...

Can you tell I am in a little bit of a funk right now? Well, maybe not a real funk, but kind of trying to rest in the Lord and face the facts that I am not God and that His ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts and that His WAY of doing ANYTHING is the best, including how He is leading me and teaching me... I need the leading and teaching, that's for sure!

Anyway, long comment. Sorry.

I encourage you to step back, take a deep breath, relax, and get to posting about your chickens!

:-D

The other morning I found one with the head off. Raccoon. So, they have been locked in the coop every night since. Usually we leave the door open, but it is inside the fence. Can't figure out how the racoon got the chicken... Now, we have four layers left. We are trying to get some chicks hatched, but nothing, yet.

I am starting some seeds, a little late, but not too bad. It is still cold here. Frost this morning. The garden is a swamp. Need someone with a tractor to help me out. LOL! But, it will all work out.

Looking forward to the Lord's return,

Ginny

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

Dust and a worm... encouraging & uplifting. I can't wait to share it! :)

We've been very blessed to have not lost any chickens to pests. We've had one death, and as far as I was able to determine, she was egg-bound. I think our dog helps keep pests away. She loves eggs too much to let something happen to those chickens!

I'm looking forward to posting gardening and chicken stuff.

Thanks for the reminder to shut up and leave the real work to God. Loved hearing from you!

E.T.'s Mom said...

I'm glad you're not leaving the blog completly. Your story testifies to the work of the Lord around and within you, though you need not share more than is good for you. Anyway, thanks.

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

E.T.'s Mom-
Thanks for the encouragement and for stopping by to comment.