Friday, March 20, 2009

Psyching Myself Up for Youth Camp

*Recalling things about our kids at church that make me smile*

Shortly after accepting our assignment from God at the small church where we now serve, I noticed things are a little different here. Homier, maybe. Despite all the problems that these teenagers have (and they would rival the problems of inner city kids), they retain some of the mannerisms of hill country upbringing.

One evening, I offered a bowl of chili to a 13 year old boy who had been sitting on the table, legs dangling over the side in constant swing motion, and chatting with me while I cooked. (If I remember correctly, he was telling me how to clean fish and gut deer.) His response? “No, thank y’ma’am. I’ve not been feelin’ all t’myself today.” I wanted to pinch his cheeks and tell him how cute that was, but 13 year old boys don’t take too kindly to such things.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

LOL! That pinching and stuff would nip all that cuteness right in the bud. LOL!