Tuesday, January 6, 2009

From KnoxNews.com:
December 21
An early morning fire in South Knoxville has left a family of four homeless and a father crediting an angel for their safety. The blaze at 206 Stone Road just off Chapman Highway was reported about 3:30 a.m. The father said he woke up and went to his kitchen but was pushed back by smoke, according to Knoxville Fire Department Capt. D.J. Corcoran. He woke up his wife, and they gathered their sons, 1 and 2 years old, and fled the house. “I asked him if he knew what happened,” Corcoran said, and “he said he didn’t know.” He had laid down Sunday night to put his 2-year-old son to sleep and fell asleep himself, Corcoran said. He said the man told him that what he remembered was having a dream. “He said a woman came to him in the dream ... she looked like an angel and knew she wasn’t going to hurt him,” Corcoran said the man told him. “He said she told him to wake up that he had lost a child in a fire, and he had to get up and get out of the house,” Corcoran said. That’s when the man got up and went to the kitchen and was hit with the smoke, Corcoran said, and fled. The man’s cell phone was not getting reception so the family drove to the Pilot, where he called E-911 on his cell. He left his family in the warmth of the station and drove back to his house. By that time, KFD’s Engine 13 and Squad 19 had arrived to find the brick-veneer house fully involved, Corcoran said. The bitter cold froze water in the street, but firefighers got the blaze knocked down fairly quickly, Corcoran said. No one was injured. The man’s father picked up the family, and the Red Cross has been contacted.
“They lost everything,” Corcoran said. Their names were not immediately available. More details as they develop online and in Tuesday’s News Sentinel.


This is the baby's room, where my little brother was sleeping with my 1 year old nephew. What is left of the mattress is leaned up against the wall. The ceiling collapsed in that room just after they got out. The firefighters told them that if they had been in the house another 45 seconds, they would have all been dead. The smoke detectors? They didn't sound the alarm until the family was running out the door. The televisions, in every room, were unrecognizable- vaporized or nearly so. On the same entertainment center as one of the televisions, a Bible was untouched by fire. There is soot on the edges of the pages, but otherwise it is fine.
I praise God that they made it out alive, and pray that this draws them nearer to the Lord.

2 comments:

Jayna said...

Wow! Thank God for that dream. You and I know that was an angel warning him. And that Bible being virtually untouched? Another miracle. God speaks to us in so many ways; and sometimes it's through a tragedy or near-tragedy that we draw closest to Him. I pray your family will get closer to the Lord. That Bible that was saved is God's sword that will protect them and they should use it. God bless them and God bless your family as well.

E.T.'s Mom said...

Wow, God's protection is evident. I join you in prayer that the aftermath of the fire they will be drawn cloer to the heart of God.