Monday, June 9, 2008

Marcus

My husband insists that sometimes he is used of God because he is too stupid to know when he is in over his head. I don't really think that is the case, but the kids at church like to hear him say it.

I told you all that Scott had asked me to put together a list of scriptures for our scavenger hunt. Well, while I was doing that, I kept coming back to Luke 14:12 ("Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee. But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: and thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.") This verse caught my attention several times as I was preparing a dinner for many people. I couldn't see how I could incorporate this into the scavenger hunt, so I left it off of the list, but was well aware that this dinner should be a place to invite "the least."
On the drive out to our church building from town, we saw a man walking with a duffel bag on his back. Neither of us said anything, but we both noticed him. Scott later told me that he was thinking, "That's the kind of person that we should be helping, but he's too scary-looking for anyone to pick up."
Two hours later, after feeding the teens, I began putting away the leftover food. As I turned around from the refrigerator, I saw the man from the side of the street standing in the church kitchen. He just made sense to Scott and me. It was as if God had been telling us to expect him. Another lady and I hastily made him a plate of food, and Scott & another man from our church took him to the youth room to have some time to talk with him and help him get cleaned up and pick out some new clothes (we keep a "coat & clothes closet" for this purpose). The lady who was helping with the food left to find socks, deodorant, and a razor for the vagrant, whose name was Marcus. She was so flustered when she left that she went the wrong direction and had to turn around and go back. She shared with me that all she could think of was, "Jesus is here and I get to go buy him socks"- in keeping with "whatever you do to the least of these, you do it unto me."
So the women-folk were just about giddy with excitement and anticipation of what was happening in the next building. We went ahead with the evening's movie plan for the kids and would every now and then peek out at the other building. We were excitedly waiting for good news. What exactly that good news would be, we were not sure. Things were not as cheery as we were thinking they would be. As a matter of fact, we were dead wrong. Sometimes serving God brings us face-to-face with demons.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Wow. I was getting good chills down my back and then they turned to bad chills.

Please don't make me wait too long to hear more.