Tuesday, May 6, 2008

To Test or Not to Test?

I am considering giving my children the CAT (California Achievement Test) this year. I don't know of anyone who has used this test, but most of the homeschool testing websites use this one. Does anyone have personal experience with it or any other achievement test? We don't follow the state curriculum. We may be learning about the Roman Empire while the state schools are teaching American history. My interest is in finding out how my children perform on the basic skills portion of the test.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Ginny said...

Well, since no-one with children is going to answer, I will give my childless two cents: I would think testing would be a good idea, for your own personal information (not the government's). That is really the only way to know for sure what they know...

Just my unlearned opinion...

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

I appreciate your opinion. Thanks for letting me know I'm not all alone! :)

Don and Lynn said...

I used the CAT for my daugther. It's the only one I could use since I have an associates degree and not a bachelor's. It scores them in math and language arts which was all I cared about knowing. To me that is the core. I'd recommend doing it! Oh yeah, when they do really well, it makes you feel much more confident about what you're doing with homeschool! I ordered our test from Christian Liberty Press.