Sunday, March 16, 2008

Women's Bible Study

I have a natural distrust of "dynamic" personalities. Really, I do. I don't trust anyone with any amount of charisma. I also don't trust women in pantsuits. Okay, I'm joking about that one (kind of).
I have never taken part in a Beth Moore bible study group and I don't plan to change that. Many women think that she is the pinnacle of holiness- "If I only I could be more like Beth Moore..." I've been invited to many and always politely claimed inability to make it to the meeting- which is completely true. That, however is not the main reason I say no. I don't attend because I study the Scriptures on my own. Just me and the Holy Spirit of God, and oftentimes my husband. We talk about what we've read, we look up Greek words, we sometimes start on one subject and end up somewhere else altogether. I prefer this method to using someone else's thoughts and "points to ponder". When actually taking an active part in a Bible study, I interact more with God. I don't just sit and listen to someone else talk about interacting with God. And one of these days, I'm going to tell someone that when I am asked why I never come to the meetings. For now, I'm just telling you, here in this confidential blog post.

Now that that is out of the way, would anyone be interested in studying the Bible with me? My thought is just that we would read the same parts and compare notes- at least that is how I always start. Then if God leads us in another direction, so be it.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on any of the other women who have written books about being a Godly woman.

4 comments:

Ron and Ginny said...

I don't know who Beth Moore is, but I have read other books and studies and I came to the same conclusion as you. Just me and the Holy Spirit and, sometimes, my husband. He is the one and only teacher and it is nice to hear it directly from Him. He knows what we need to be taught right at that precise moment and how it needs to be presented to us. I commend you and encourage you to continue.

Jayna said...

You have not received a comment from me before; however, your husband is a business acquaintance of mine and he said I should leave a comment sometime. Concerning the "Beth Moore" how to be more Christ-like books, I prefer, as you do, to study the Scriptures in my own way. I believe everybody should just read the Bible and allow it to speak to you what it needs to say. God always has a word for somebody who truly reads open-hearted his word. I don't need somebody else to tell me "how" I need to read and interpret it. I also do not agree with these people making money(alot of money) off of these books and such. I believe you shouldn't put a price tag on the spreading of the good word. After all, we're all suppose to produce fruit, right?

Don and Lynn said...

I'd love to go through the Bible with you! I'm not a big fan of Beth Moore or those types. I hate to think this way, but it just all looks like a big money making scheme to me. If they were really doing God's work, they wouldn't charge so much money for their "insight." Just like Jayna said. THAT makes me really, really skeptical.

Don and Lynn said...

I'd love to go through the Bible with you! I'm not a big fan of Beth Moore or those types. I hate to think this way, but it just all looks like a big money making scheme to me. If they were really doing God's work, they wouldn't charge so much money for their "insight." Just like Jayna said. THAT makes me really, really skeptical.