Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Quilting Questions

Once again, I am contemplating work on a project started by one of our grandmothers. These nine patch quilt squares were made by my Mamaw Chandler.
Yep, after years of vaguely referring to her as "my grandmother," I am 'fessing up to my hillbilly roots. I had two Mamaws, each called by "mamaw" and her last name. My family came from the hills pretty recently. "We" were among the last of the folks kicked out of Cades Cove, and I remember the anger and indignation in my grandmother's voice as she would tell us about the unfair price her family was forced to accept for their farm.
So anyhow, I married up. We have a beautiful photograph of my mother-in-law at the age of 8 or 9 wearing a fancy white gown with matching white gloves and holding a bouquet of roses. Similarly, we have a photograph of my mother wearing a flour sack and holding a dead chicken. Well, okay, we don't actually have possession of that one, but it is rumored to exist.
But anyway, back to the quilt. These squares were made from satin scraps that my grandmother brought home from the furriers where she worked sewing liners for fur coats. My question is this: What kind of fabric should I use to attach these squares to each other? I am thinking that maybe I should use satin, but someone said that would be a mistake. That same someone didn't offer any alternatives, though. Does anyone know?

5 comments:

Ron and Ginny said...

I don't know, but the first thought that came to my mind was velvet or maybe something velvety like that. I don't know why satin would not work, also. But, I am no expert... :-D

Don and Lynn said...

Can't help you with the quilt, but I noticed that you added Ray Comfort's blog to your links. My husband is going to be SO happy. He loves Way of the Master. He's made his own testimony CD based upon their way of witnessing. I know he'll love reading that blog!

Tish said...

Perhaps you didn't mean this post in the way that I took it, but I feel no shame in being a direct descendant of the pioneering family of Cades Cove. Cades Cove is a beautiful area, with a very rich history, and I feel nothing but pride for being a part of it. Check out Cades Cove on Wikipedia for some wonderful information on its history. As for Mamaw Chandler, she may have come from a poor background, but she was a wonderful woman, and there is absolutely nothing bad I can say about her. I feel lucky to have had such a great grandmother.

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

Tish,
I think my satirical, tongue-in-cheek intentions didn't really come through in the post. I am in no way ashamed or embarrassed by our family heritage. As a matter of fact, Nicholas just recently chose to write a report of Cades Cove for school because of the interesting history that we have there.
I've not met too many other people with "Mamaws", and this is TN. So I think that is pretty unique. Another reason for my satire is the contrast between our family and Scott's family. And, yes, I am every bit as quick to poke fun at his northern & Italian roots (and the "oo" in roots should be pronounced like the "oo" in took when making fun of Yankees).
If this offends anyone, I am indeed sorry... but the spirit in which the remarks were made was not at all hateful.

Tish said...

Geneva, thanks for clearing that up. No hard feelings. :)

Btw, even here in East Tennessee, I very rarely hear someone say "Mamaw". I have a business contact that has the strongest TN accent, and he said "Papaw" the other day when we were talking. It completely cracked me up. I thought I was the only one left who said that!