Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Kids Sporting Their New Eyeglasses


Noah asked several times if I would take him to an eye doctor- he said his eyes were watery. I assumed it was an allergy problem, so I put the doctor's visit off for a while. One day last week, however, I noticed that he was having a really hard time doing his schoolwork. He kept rubbing his eyes, and at one point became frustrated with it and went to bed. "Hmmm," I thought, "maybe there is something to what he says." I took him to the eye doctor that morning, and sure enough, the kid is far-sighted. The watery eyes are caused by him struggling to bring his eyes into focus and keeping them open for too long. That's him in the middle.
Imagine my surprise when on a whim I asked the doctor for a vision screening for the other children. Elijah's vision is great, but Nicholas is another story. He is far-sighted and both eyes have astigmatisms. The doctor actually winced when he attempted to read the largest row of letters. I felt like such a bad mom- he's 10 years old and I never noticed he had trouble seeing!
Both of the boys chose glasses that look like their father's. I can't find a picture of Scott in his right now or I'd post it. It's too cute! Elijah really wants glasses- he's been running into things on purpose and rubbing his eyes a lot in an effort to show me how poor his eyesight is. I offered to get him some glasses without lenses, but that won't do.
Gloria wouldn't have anything to do with the eye doctor or the vision screening equipment. She told the doc, "Maybe when I'm older..."

4 comments:

Tish said...

The kids look great in their glasses! Glad you caught the problem now! :)

As for me, I am near-sighted with asygmatism in both eyes. I got glasses several years ago, but they didn't really seem to help that much, so I just stopped wearing them. Most of the time, I'm fine. It's just seeing at a distance, especially when driving, that's difficult.

Have a good night!

Ron and Ginny said...

You're not a bad mommy, just normal, which is bad enough. LOL! ;-) I had to laugh at Elijah wanting glasses. When I was in the second grade, I just about worshiped the ground a neighbor walked on. She was 15 years old and I thought she was wonderful! She had long hair that she put over her shoulder and braided. She had glasses, braces, and pimples. I wanted to be just like her. For many years, when people asked me what I wanted, I would say, "Glasses, braces, and pimples." I never did get the knack of braiding my own hair in one long braid down the back. Well, I got the pimples and now I have the glasses. I never did get the braces, either. LOL! Kids are funny... :-D

Farmer Blu's Wife said...

What a great picture!! I think it is sweet that they wanted ones like Dad!!

Don and Lynn said...

They look very handsome! Don will be more than thrilled the day the boys are old enough to actually want to have something just like he does. Y'all have a Merry Christmas!