Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Adoption

I have always been interested in adoption. ALWAYS.

As a teenager, I purchased a used set of books from a library sale entitled "The Adoptive Family." My friends thought I was nuts. So it's not surprising that I sometimes browse adoption websites. Over the years, I have looked into all manner of domestic and international adoptions. I've checked out the requirements, notified my husband of which ones we qualify for, and even told him that I've picked out a new kid or two. Always kind of joking, but also "feeling out the waters," so to speak.

This morning, I awoke early with a feeling that I should spend some volunteer time at an orphanage. I know that logically, we just don't have time for me to go out and do something like that. My husband works a full-time job in addition to being the youth pastor at our church. I homeschool our children, so I don't have any time without the kids to volunteer. Nevertheless, I got online at 5:30 this morning to google orphanages/children's homes close to us. There really aren't any, so I ended up browsing the list of children available for adoption. I looked at "special needs/older" kids, because it is safe- most of adoptions specify homes with no other children.

I say all of this to say that this morning, I "met" a child online who has been on my mind all day. I've cried because I feel a connection, illogical though it may be. He is one year older than my oldest son. He comes from a separated sibling group and wants to be placed in a home with other children. He loves taking care of plants and animals and would love to live somewhere that has woods to explore.

I really don't know where I'm going with this post. I'm sure that my husband doesn't feel called to adopt. I just needed to get my thoughts out somewhere.

4 comments:

Ron and Ginny said...

I understand. I went through many years of that. Emotions are great deceivers. Be careful. :-D

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

Thanks, Ginny. I know that I am more given to emotion than my husband, so I wait... knowing that if God is calling us to adopt, He will truly call US and not just ME.

VoiceInTheWilderness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Don and Lynn said...

You're right there-BOTH of you will be called to do it. My hubby had the "snip-snip" done after our daugther was born. We were only 24 at the time. I regretted that decision early on and would look at adoption sites, etc. And I would cry, BEG God for another child, but hubby wasn't onboard. Until he started working with the church's bus ministry. Then God put him on the same boat as me. He got reversed and a couple years later, we have twin boys. God is good and will work it out in His timing, if it's His will.