Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Glory that Will Be

Last year, Scott attended the "Empower Me Christmas Camp" alone. This year, I was able to go with him. We also took with us 5 kids from our youth group and 3 adults from our church. To read about last year's visit, click here.


Since this was my first time to volunteer, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I really hadn't put much thought into how I would interact with the kids. Once they started coming in the door, I became a little worried about how to treat them. I was concerned that I would talk down to them or try to help them too much. The group of kids that I stayed with were older than I was expecting... I was kind of thinking 5-9 years old, but instead we had teenagers and young adults- the same age that we brought along with us from our youth group.


I found that I did not for one minute pity any of these children. Some children were dropped off by their siblings who had no disabilities. Looking at them side-by-side, God did not allow me to be depressed over what could have been. Instead, He showed me the glory of what WILL be. In God's kingdom, all infirmities will be gone. "In You, where the hungry feast at the table- the blind frozen by colors in view. The lame will dance, will dance for they are able, and the weary find rest in You."

1 comment:

Don and Lynn said...

My younger brother is slow-he's now 32 but has the mental capacity of a 10 year old. I've found that you can learn many things from handicapped people. For one thing, they love from the heart so mightily and they usually love every nice person they come into contact with. They don't ever worry about what others might think of them. They are just free to be who they are. They can really teach you a lot about God's love in just a short amount of time.