Monday, October 29, 2007

Reclaiming the Backyard



This is an abandoned dog pen that previously could not be seen. There were 4" diameter trees inside it, and 1"diameter vines all over it. Some of my favorite childhood memories are scented with the sweet smell of honeysuckle in bloom, but I don't think I will remember it quite so fondly now. It was a beast to untangle and cut all of that out.


Our goal is to have a backyard. I have a good view of this area from the kitchen, so the kids can be outside playing while I am cooking. They can easily amuse themselves for hours out there.
Scott tore down an old goat shed yesterday afternoon. The ceiling was caving in, and the sides were riddled with bullet holes from Scott's carefree, youthful summers.
Here Scott is tearing down the rotten wood in the back.


This photo was taken after the first side was removed. We found some huge brown recluse spiders in there!

The shed has been been reduced to a pile of rubble. Most of the tin sheets are already loaded into the trailer awaiting a day that Scott makes it home before 5 to take them to the local dump. Aah, progress!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to, "Ahh, Wilderness"?

It's looking good, though!

Don and Lynn said...

Okay, you creeped me out when mentioning the brown recluse spiders! It's making me itch! LOL!