Friday, October 12, 2007

Honey Seed Cookies


I have always heard that honey cannot be successfully substituted for sugar in a cookie recipe. Naturally, I had to try it for myself. I am pleased to announce that these cookies were enjoyed, and even preferred by my children. I left out the chocolate chips all together, and there is no processed sugar in the cookies.
Here is the recipe as I modified it today:
Honey Seed Cookies
1 cup raw orange blossom honey
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 c freshly milled soft white wheat flour
1 c oats
1/4 c freshly milled pinto bean flour
1 handful each of millet, flax seed, and raw sunflower seeds
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
I followed the same procedure as yesterday's recipe.
We loved the flavor of the orange blossom honey. (Though I am now thinking, "Why do we buy raw honey if we are just going to cook with it?") These cookies were a bit thinner and larger than yesterday's batch. They tasted a tad saltier, even though the salt content was the same. Over all, we are very pleased with them, and I don't feel guilty about eating them. Sometimes the pickiest eater at our house is Dad. We'll just have to wait and see what he thinks when he gets home tonight (if there are any cookies left.)

No comments: