Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Feta Cheese Recipe




I found this recipe online, and it sounded so easy that I had to try it.


1 gallon room-temperature milk

1/4 cup cultured buttermilk, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, or 1/8 tsp Mesophilic A culture

20 drops vegetable rennet

1/4 cup water


After the milk is brought to room temperature, add the buttermilk, yogurt, or culture. Add the 20 drops rennet to the 1/4 cup water and mix to dissolve. Add this to the milk. Allow to sit undisturbed for 2 hours. Stir slowly and carefully to break up the curd. Then put in cheesecloth bag and drain for 8-10 hours.

Hmmm... this is where I first had a little trouble. After 17 hours, mine was still dripping whey. It was noticibly smaller, which was a good sign.


I ended up taking the curds out of that bag and wrapping them in a high quality paper towel. I then squeezed the whey out.








Once that was done, I proceeded to follow the recipe.




"Cut cheese into chunks. Layer in a clean glass jar with basil, oregano and salt. Pour olive oil over the top so that no cheese is exposed to air."


It is not as pretty as the photo I saw on someone else's blog. I suppose it is not bad for my first attempt at cheese. The taste? Well, that remains to be seen. We're supposed to wait 3 days before we eat it. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Elijah sure had a good time.

2 comments:

Don and Lynn said...

Mmmmm! The next time I come to visit Sonja, we'll have to plan a middle of the night raid on your feta! LOL!

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

If it's worth eating, I'll gladly share. That's a funny mental picture, though.:)