Saturday, September 1, 2007


What to do without coffee in the mornings? I've turned to Blueberry Yogurt smoothies. It doesn't give me the caffeine boost, but it is much easier on the stomach and I can have as much as I want without getting jittery. This is Day 6 with NO caffeine at all. It is getting easier. Scott has been 10 days without caffeine, and he has a great headache STILL.
I never could get the kids to eat plain yogurt until I started making it at home. There is such a difference between homemade yogurt and the stuff you buy at the supermarket. The little ones will actually eat yogurt with no fruit or sweeteners. That being said, my two pickiest eaters love the blueberry-yogurt smoothies.

2 comments:

Don and Lynn said...

Okay, I've got the bread under my belt. Maybe it's time to try homemade yogurt. My boys LOVE any kind of yogurt. I've got a recipe for it in my Super Babyfoods book, but I've not yet attempted it. Is it difficult to do? It looks really yummy!

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

It's super-easy to do. All you need is 1 gallon of milk, starter yogurt (which can be a powder, or you can use any store-bought 8 oz. yogurt with active cultures) and a packet of unflavored gelatin. The gelatin is optional, but it helps to make the yogurt thicker. First you bring the milk up to temperature (between 100-110 degrees), then add the gelatin and starter. Then you incubate the yogurt. You do this by keeping it between 100-110 degrees for 8-10 hours. I use a large pot w/ lid on top of a heating pad. There are a number of ways you can do it, but this one works best for me. Sometimes whey forms on top of the yogurt. In this case, all you need to do is scoop it off with a large spoon. I put it down the drain, but I'm sure there are good uses for it.
Give it a try! It's great- and much easier than homemade bread!