Saturday, January 27, 2007

Day 6

Elijah ran a high fever for most of the night. We decided to take him to a walk-in clinic. We found a local "Minute Clinic" in a Kansas City CVS pharmacy. The nurse practicioner noticed that his tonsils were very enlarged and had pus on them. The poor little guy didn't even say that his throat hurt. She performed a strep test, but the result was negative. Still, she prescribed him antibiotics, based on the assumption that the negative strep test was incorrect. Our pediatrician in Tennessee returned our phone call and suggested that he would not use the antibiotic, because he thought it was likely a viral infection. I have to say, I was a little nervous with the whole "Minute Clinic" experience. The lady was as nice as could be, but she kept having to look at a corporate training book while she diagnosed him and recommended treatment. Call me crazy, but I don't like to see my medical health professionals using flowcharts for diagnosis.

Anyway, later that day we relocated to an RV park much nearer to downtown K.C. The Walnut Grove RV park is about 15 minutes from downtown. We rented a mini-van for me to drive to my meetings next week and so we could "run around" locally, without having to unhook the RV.

I went to a grocery store called "Hen House". They had half gallons of milk for sale in glass containers. It was nostaligic looking, so I bought one. Supposedly, the milk was from happy cows who were not given antibiotics or hormones. The milk tastes the same as that from regular hormonal and antibiotic-filled bovine.

No comments: