Saturday, December 16, 2006

Do you have a seat at the table?

Today, I worked at the "Empower Me Day Camp Christmas Camp" in Lebanon, TN. This is a camp for special needs children that two of my sisters have worked at for several years. I didn't quite know what I'd be in for, when I agreed to volunteer. It was, as you might expect, a rewarding and emotional experience. The children have a wide variety of disabilities. They ranged from a young boy with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (as a result of unspeakable acts of abuse by his birth parents) to a child with Cerebral Palsy. We worked with the kids in small groups, making Christmas ornaments, making presents for family members, playing games, and picking presents for themselves. The only break in the non-stop action was for an all too short thirty minute lunch.

They gathered around the table; wheelchairs, eyes blind, swaying, smiling, yelling, pinching, kissing, biting, hugging, hitting, and "high fives".

During that small island of silence, I had time to look around and survey the scene. I thought to myself, "I look forward to seeing them at the marriage supper of The Lamb." I wondered if I would recognize them immediately or if kids like "Ben" would have to remind me of the time we met; he in his wheelchair and unable to speak. I imagined "Scotty" with an ability to communicate with Shakespearean eloquence, instead of mumbles or howls. I spent quite a while dancing and singing with one young girl. She was known to bite, but she was very sweet to me. I imagined her dancing with elegance and singing with the voice of an angel.

What they have never known in this world, they will possess in the Father's house.

I feel certain that they will have a seat at that table, because they aren't distracted by the trappings of this world. Will you have a seat at that table?

No comments: