Sunday, November 19, 2006

Where is Your Treasure?


Luk 12:15 to 34

And He said to them, Watch and keep yourselves from covetousness. For a man's life is not in the abundance of the things which he possesses. And He spoke a parable to them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room in which to store my fruits? And he said, I will do this. I will pull down my barns and build bigger ones, and I will store all my fruits and my goods there. And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat drink and be merry. But God said to him, Fool! This night your soul shall be required of you, then whose shall be those things which you have prepared? So is he who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God. And He said to His disciples, Therefore I say to you, Be not anxious as to your life, what you shall eat; nor for the body, what you shall put on. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap, having neither storehouse nor barn, and God feeds them. How much more are you better than the birds? And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his stature? If then you are not able to do even the least, why are you anxious about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow; they do not toil, they do not spin. And yet I say to you that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If then God so clothes the grass (which today is in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven) how much more will He clothe you, O little-faiths? And do not seek what you shall eat, nor what you shall drink, and stop being in anxiety. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you have need of these things. But rather seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you. Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell what you have and give alms. Make for yourselves purses which do not become old, an unfailing treasure in Heaven, where no thief comes nor moth corrupts. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I read this passage and consider how many people live just to impress their neighbors or "keep up with the Joneses". I will be the first to say that I have been guilty of this sin. It is a little easier for me to deal with this, since we moved into the RV, simply because I don't have much space to store new junk. Also, nothing makes you more apprehensive about buying and bringing home more "stuff" than having spent weeks getting rid of all of your old "stuff".

I used to buy things, because I thought they were "a good deal". Many of the things that I'd buy were purely decorative. If they were actually useful items, they were hardly ever used. I'll bet that I had purchased my wife more kitchen implements than she could use in one day. Why? They were "a good deal" and would make her life more enjoyable.

One of my favorite stores sold cheap Chinese-made tools. I could not leave the store without buying something. I always had grand plans for these tools, but more often than not I'd just put them in the garage and never use them (see picture of part of my garage). A friend of mine's grandfather-in-law passed away last year. He had a three car garage full of tools, most of which purchased at my favorite cheap Chinese-made tool store. Many of his tools were still new in their original boxes. I couldn't help but think how much of his time and resources he devoted to this pursuit. I saw my own sin in his garage through those cheap Chinese-made tools. Is your treasure sitting in a box in your garage? Is it in a display case in your den? Is it hanging on your wall or parked in your driveway? Don't let your heart reside in something that will be sold by your heirs, after you're gone.

No comments: