Friday, November 17, 2006

About the Wilderness

Recently, our pastor was speaking about how God didn't bring Israel "through" the wilderness, but he led them "about" the wilderness. He noted how their journey was not a straight line from point A to point B. That was a well-timed sermon for our family. I don't know for certain what we had been expecting, but it was not what we have been asked to do.

My wife and I were driving to town recently and discussing what God would call us to do next, when I got a phone call from a friend and fellow musician. We learned that the church where he had been serving as their youth minister had called him to become their full-time pastor. Their only question for him was; who could take his place with the youth. He said that I had immediately come to his mind. He asked if I would be interested. I told him that his timing was amazing and that, while I would not have been interested in this prior to our decision to "become available to serve God", I definitely would be now. It is amazing how "before" our conscious decision to serve God, we would have professed to want to serve him, but discounted opportunities like this out of consideration for our own selfish pursuits.

God has been so amazing to us, in that he has not made his will difficult for us to discern. As long as we have committed to "be available" and removed obstacles in our lives to that goal, He has made our "next" move apparent at each turn; never too far in advance, but always in good time.

1 comment:

Wardeh @ Such Treasures said...

Wow! Another amazing "coincidence"! ;) How wonderful that now you're available.

Love, Wardeh